Apricus Solar Hot Water in Pasadena, Annapolis, and Crownsville, MD and Surrounding Areas
Apricus Evacuated Tube Solar Collector
(Thermal solar heating)
The Apricus Solar Collector or Solar Water Heater is a device that absorbs thermal energy from the sun and converts it into usable heat. The heat is normally absorbed by water, or a freeze resistant water mix, which can then be used to supplement hot water heating, space heating and even space cooling via use of an absorption chiller or dessicant cooler technology.
Key features of the Apricus Solar Collector design.
- Internationally certified product
- Reliable, efficient, twin-glass evacuated tubes
- Copper heat pipes for rapid heat transfer
- Easy plug-in installation
- Maintenance Free
- Suitable for mains pressure water (up to 8 bar/116psi)
- Corrosion resistant silver brazed copper header
- All stainless steel frame (439 grade SS)
- Black or Silver aluminium casing
- Stable solar conversion throughout the day (tubes passively track the sun)
- The perfect solar collector for domestic solar water heater systems
- Ideal for commercial solar water heating applications
- Comprehensive 10 year limited warranty
The operation of the solar collector is very simple.
- Solar Absorption
- Solar radiation is absorbed by the evacuated tubes and converted into heat.
- Solar Heat Transfer
- Heat pipes conduct the heat from within the solar tube up to the header.
- Solar Energy Storage
- Water is circulated through the header, via intermittent pump cycling. Each time the water circulates through the header the temperatures is raised by 5-10oC / 9-18oF. Throughout the day, the water in the storage tank is gradually heated.
Apricus Heat Dissipator
The Apricus heat dissipator (HD) is specifically designed for use with Apricus solar collector installations that are sized for optimal winter, spring and autumn output. The HD can dissipate the excessive heat produced during summer periods, or periods of non-use. This protects systems from overheating and/or excessive hot water dumping.
- 1.3kW heat dissipation capacity*
- Suitable for fresh water or glycol/water systems.
- Anodized aluminum fins and outer casing for excellent corrosion resistance
- Silver brazed copper piping with 1/2″M BSP inlet and outlet.
- Easy mounting on exterior wall or in roof space.
- Able to be connected in series for greater heat dissipation capacity.
- Minimal pressure drop.
- May be used as a simple hydronic space heating panel.
- Neat, attractive design.
* Based on 80oC / 176oF water temp, 40oC / 104oF ambient, no forced air flow.
The HD is installed on the return line from the solar collector(s). When the temperature in the storage tank exceeds the pre-set limit (~80oC / 176oF), the controller switches a solenoid which directs the solar return flow through the HD before returning it back into the standard flow line. Alternatively a thermostatic mixing valve/tempering valve set to a suitable temperature can be used, providing mechanic, automatic regulation of flow through the heat dissipator.
As the hot water passes through the HD, heat is dissipated via the aluminium fins to surrounding air, the vertical fin arrangement promoting a passsive air current.
One HD-25 unit can dissipate 100% of the heat produced by an AP-30 collector in full sun, during very high ambient temperatures.
The copper pipe to and from the collector should be heavily insulated, as should the lengths of pipe to and from the HD. The solenoid valve prevents flow of collector return water through the HD during normal temperature operation, thus preventing unnecessary heat loss.
Apricus Solar Conversion Valve
The Apricus Solar Conversion Valve (SCV) is a special brass valve designed to allow existing hot water tanks to be retrofitted into solar storage tanks, thus eliminating the need to purchase an additional tank.
The valve simply fits into the bottom inlet/drain port of the tank and allows To Solar, Solar Return as well as retaining the original function of the port (cold in or drain). The valves are available in both 3/4″M BSP and 3/4″M NPT threads to provide compatibility with most tanks.
The copper return pipe ensures delivery of hot water at a higher level than the cold out, thus preventing disruption of stratification layers. This also ensures that the coldest water is always delivered to the solar collector for heating, thus maximizing solar conversion efficiency.