The Apricus heat dissipator (HD) is specifically
designed for use with Apricus solar collector
installations that are sized for optimal winter, spring
and autumn output. The HD can dissipate the excessive heat
produced during summer periods, or periods of non-use.
This protects systems from overheating and/or excessive
hot water dumping.
* Based on 80oC / 176oF water temp, 40oC / 104oF ambient,
no forced air flow.
- >1.3kW heat dissipation capacity*
- Suitable for fresh water or glycol/water systems.
- Anodized aluminum fins and outer casing for excellent
- Silver brazed copper piping with 1/2"M BSP inlet and
- Easy mounting on exterior wall or in roof space.
- Able to be connected in series for greater heat
- Minimal pressure drop.
- May be used as a simple hydronic space heating panel.
- Neat, attractive design.
The HD is installed on the return line from the solar
collector(s). When the temperature in the storage tank
exceeds the pre-set limit (~80oC / 176oF), the controller
switches a solenoid which directs the solar return flow
through the HD before returning it back into the standard
flow line. Alternatively a thermostatic mixing
valve/tempering valve set to a suitable temperature can be
used, providing mechanic, automatic regulation of flow
through the heat dissipator.
As the hot water passes through the HD, heat is
dissipated via the aluminium fins to surrounding air, the
vertical fin arrangement promoting a passsive air current.
One HD-25 unit can dissipate 100% of the heat produced
by an AP-30 collector in full sun, during very high
The copper pipe to and from the collector should be
heavily insulated, as should the lengths of pipe to and
from the HD. The solenoid valve prevents flow of collector
return water through the HD during normal temperature
operation, thus preventing unnecessary heat loss.
more about Apricus Heat Dissipator on the Apricus website]